Custom 3D-Printed Solution: Crafting a Perfect Fit for Rode Wireless Microphone

Our customer initially approached our 3D printing business because he needed something to keep the windshield (commonly referred to as a ‘dead cat’ of his Rode wireless microphone) securely attached.

He had found a product that could potentially address his problem, however, it was only available from a supplier based in the United States. This wasn’t an option for the customer, as the shipping costs exceeded the price of the item itself, which wasn’t realistic for him.

This meant that our customer needed a more cost-effective and efficient solution. A Google search brought him to our business, allowing him to see that we had the capabilities to create custom 3D-printed solutions.

Why did He Need This Product?

The product our customer needed was essential for his work, as he used the Rode wireless microphone to interview people.

Specifically, he needed a solution to keep the windshield (dead cat) securely clipped onto the microphone. This component is vital for reducing wind noise and achieving high-quality audio recordings, particularly in outdoor or windy conditions. Without a proper attachment for the windshield, his microphone setup was incomplete, and it hindered his ability to capture the high-quality he needed.

Good quality sound was so important for him as he used it to transcribe their words into notes, which is something that he struggles to do himself due to his Parkinsons.

How Did You Go About Designing The Shield?

To address the clients needs, we took precise measurements of his Rode wireless microphone unit. Using these measurements as our foundation, we started to design a custom frame that would securely clip around the microphone. This frame needed to have a snug fit to ensure the microphone would stay in place during interviews.

Additionally, it had to accomodate the windshield and allow for a headphone to be plugged in while still enabling the microphone to be conveniently clipped onto an interviewees clothing.

What Problems Did We Face?

The design process wasn’t without its challenges. The first prototype we developed was based on measurements taken quickly, resulting in a frame that was too thick, with end clips that were too long. As a result, the microphone didn’t fit snugly within the frame.

To overcome this issue, we borrowed the customers microphone unit, which allowed us to make the design more accurate. With the actual unit in hand, we could test the 3D-printed prototypes immediately. This ability to iterate rapidly based on real-world testing was crucial. It enabled us to make the necessary adjustments and refinements, ensuring the final product not only fit snugly, but was also lightweight and highly functional.

In the End..

Through a collaborative effort and iterative design process, we were able to provide him with a customised 3D-printed solution that perfectly met his needs, allowing his to effectively use his Rode wireless microphone in various recording scenarios. This case highlights the value of custom 3D printing in solving specific and unique problems for our clients.

0